Re: Offline processing

1998-11-19 15:42:18
Mark Shaw asked,

|     Once a month or so I'd like to process the default mail-
|     box through procmail and delete all messages that con-
|     tain the mailing-list header.  All messages that do not
|     contain that header would be deleted from the default
|     mailbox and filed to a folder I'd define at the time I
|     ran this task.  I'd be left with an empty default mail-
|     box.

The procmail(1) man page contains a shell routine for reprocessing mail
in an existing mailbox.

|     I'd also like to run all my mailing-list mail folders
|     through a recipe that would delete all messages older
|     than X number of months.

That's not so easy.  First one has to define age: since the message was
sent?  Since the list re-sent it?  Since it arrived?  I'd recommend the
last.

Though I'm too pooped right now to write out the code, my suggestion is
to look at the From_ line or the topmost (youngest) Received: line, pull
the timestamp, and compare it to the current timestamp.