Re: Action Line Confusion

1998-12-07 22:16:23
joi(_dot_)ellis(_at_)cdc(_dot_)com writes:
I tried the exact lines you specified in your example, and it WORKED!
I then tried my original lines, which were identical except for spacing,
and they FAILED.   I experimented a bit and found that:

| head -75 | gzip -fc >>$DEFAULT.gz    <<--- FAILS
| head -75 |gzip -fc >>$DEFAULT.gz     <<--- WORKS

Why is this space a problem?  I understand the documentation to say
that the mere presense of the second | in the command requires
procmail to pass the whole line to a shell!  I don't understand this
behavior at all.   Is there a particular spot in the FAQ I overlooked?

Since the shell is doing the parsing, perhaps you're using a buggy
shell.  Try putting

        SHELL=/bin/sh

at the top of your .procmailrc and try the version with the space.
What do you use as your login shell?

Philip Guenther