Re: Procmail I GOTTA GET OFF THAT CRAZY MAILING LIST

1998-12-07 23:27:35
Wow, I just noticed this email did not actually bounce.

Okay, I began receiving emails from folks all over the place about recipes
and other stuff.

Basically, the way I understand it, the emai is set up so that when anyone
aks a question or replies the entire group is emailed so that ideas and Q&A
can be shared...

Well, it is driving me nuts, one day, I received 21 SPAM related emails.
(LOL, that is more than the SPAMMERS themselves crank out).

Anyway, I am not sure how I got on, and would definately like to get off,
but don;t know where to turn for help. I do not know how I got signed up. I
CCed the procmail(_at_)infomatik(_dot_)rwth-aachen(_dot_)de in hopes they
control the list,
but don't know.

Anyway, thanks if you can help, sorry to bother if you can't...

mjg (see below for an example of the emails I am talking about).

here is an example of one of the last two I just received:

CC'ed to : procmail(_at_)informatik(_dot_)rwth-aachen(_dot_)de

joi(_dot_)ellis(_at_)cdc(_dot_)com writes:
I tried the exact lines you specified in your example, and it WORKED!
I then tried my original lines, which were identical except for spacing,
and they FAILED.   I experimented a bit and found that:

| head -75 | gzip -fc >>$DEFAULT.gz    <<--- FAILS
| head -75 |gzip -fc >>$DEFAULT.gz     <<--- WORKS

Why is this space a problem?  I understand the documentation to say
that the mere presense of the second | in the command requires
procmail to pass the whole line to a shell!  I don't understand this
behavior at all.   Is there a particular spot in the FAQ I overlooked?

Since the shell is doing the parsing, perhaps you're using a buggy
shell.  Try putting

SHELL=/bin/sh

at the top of your .procmailrc and try the version with the space.
What do you use as your login shell?

Philip Guenther