Re: Using Formail on Outgoing Mail

1999-01-22 08:42:59
On Thu, Jan 21, 1999 at 03:12:03PM -0600,
Victoria(_dot_)Green(_at_)walgreens(_dot_)com wrote:
address.  Our outgoing mail has only the account name p2000
in the From: line and is being rejected by aol.  We need to

I had similar problems. The simplest solution may be using a decent mailer
(like mutt) and set the "From" header to the e-mail address that is acceptable.

However, this may be not good enough. I am currently using sendmail to fix
discrepancies between login names and e-mail adresses. Sendmail now automaticly
rewrites not only the from header, but also the envelope of the message.
My smtp server refused messages which had non-existing from adresses in the
envelope, and this may be the case with aol too.

To do so, you have to create a genericstable file in your /etc/mail.
In this file you list mappings between user and e-mail address.
Then, you have to make a hashed version of the table and tell sendmail where
the file is.

I will send a more detailed/complete version of how to do this if you like.

Wouter Hanegraaff
--
mailto:hanegraa(_at_)wins(_dot_)uva(_dot_)nl

icq# 2058156