Re: URGENT: Looking for Procmail expert

1999-01-28 13:46:31
On Thu, Jan 28, 1999 at 07:35:05PM +0100, Robin Fundinger wrote:
Hello,

we have a severe problem on our server, which I mentioned in this list a few
weeks ago. Mails which are bigger than 4 MB can not be processed by
Procmail. We are working with BSDI Unix 3.0 and 4.0. Both operating systems
have that problem.

Here are the entries in the maillog-file:

Jan 28 11:51:42 usa1 procmail[20486]: Out of memory as I tried to allocate
4198400 bytes
Jan 28 11:51:42 usa1 sendmail[20467]: KAA20364: to="|exec /usr/bin/procmail
#banner4u", ctladdr=<test(_at_)banner4u(_dot_)com> (281/84), delay=01:00:57,
xdelay=00:01:10, mailer=prog, stat=Operating system error: Error 0

Can anyone solve this problem for us?
We intend to pay for this service!
We can give you a user account even with root rights to the server to find
the problem and to solve it.

If someone is interested in this job, please answer as soon as possible,
because we can operate this server only until 23 February. The problem must
be fixed until this date!

My question would be this: at the time of the syslog error regarding memory,
exactly how much memory was available? (I think BSD comes with top, try running
that). How much ram is in your server?

This could be a case of "time to upgrade",.. however, if you have plenty of RAM
already, (eg, 128mb ram, 256mb swap), then the next thing I would look at is
the kernel limits. On SystemV, limits are set by the ulimit command, I'm not
sure about BSD. I think its a kernal configuration question..