Re: lockfiles

1999-03-01 14:25:02
1999-03-01-20:11:28 Horacio:
Now, according to what you just explained here above, the final colon may be
the cause for my outgoing mail being so terribly slow since I started using
procmail (with smail).  Am I right to assume this?

Could be. I really don't know for sure; I've never gotten procmail tangled up
in outbound email, and so have no idea what it's doing there, how it's
invoked, etc. But definitely, using locking where it's not needed slows you
down. I switched from using

        DEFAULT=$HOME/Maildir/

to ending my .procmailrc with:

        :0
        $HOME/Maildir/

after I discovered that procmail always locks on delivery to $DEFAULT, even if
it is a Maildir. I do hope this gets fixed once Maildir delivery gets
supported in the mainline release!

-Bennett