Re: Yourdomain Error In Log Files

1999-03-11 19:48:54
bgahl(_at_)thesphere(_dot_)com writes:
deedsmis(_at_)ris(_dot_)net wrote:

  I've received these messages in two separate log files for quite some
  time and I'd like to know how and where I need to go to rectify them? I
  have aliases, host.conf, hosts.allow, hosts.deny, hosts.equiv in /etc
  all setup to cover our network. I'm guessing, but could it be coming
  from unresolved named or some other mail configurations files (yes,
  newaliases was executed)?

    /var/log/maillog:2546:Mar  5 15:24:02 cdm01 sendmail[508]: NAA00811:
    to=procmail-request(_at_)informatik(_dot_)rwth-aachen(_dot_)de,
delay=01:54:28,
    xdelay=00:00:07, mailer=esmtp,
    relay=campino.informatik.rwth-aachen.de. [137.226.116.240],
    stat=Deferred: 451 <postmaster(_at_)yourdomain(_dot_)com>... Sender
domain must
    resolve

    /var/log/messages:7041:Mar  5 16:02:21 cdm01 named[312]: Lame server
    on 'yourdomain.com' (in 'yourdomain.COM'?): [207.202.14.31].53
    'NS.NEON.NET'

I would imagine this isn't a procmail problem (possibly, not not likely). I
see these on my system (not the same message, but something similar) when
someone trys to get email into my system from a non-existant domain. Since
I have Sendmail doing a reverse lookup on the domain name, if that domain
name doesn't exist, the above warning results.

You are correct: it is not a procmail problem.  Someone has failed to
configure their mailclient and is sending out messages with a domain
part of "yourdomain.com".  What I find kind of distressing about this
case is that it's apparently the *postmaster* who's misconfigured their
mailclient!  Either that, or the sendmail config is was left partially
done so that some or all addresses are being rewriten to
"whatever(_at_)yourdomain(_dot_)com".  Search your sendmail.cf for "yourdomain"
and if you find any occurances, fix them.

The above (from memory with no research) probably says that someone is
identifying themselves as being from yourdomain.com, and that the location
they came from falls under the perview of NEON.NET, which will not resolve
yourdomain.com. Thus, your mailer rejects the message because the name
lookup at NEON.NET failed to resolve yourdomain.com.

The "lame server" message is generated when a server for a parent zone
(".com" in this case) refers a DNS question to another server
("ns.neon.net" in this case) and that server claims to not be
authoritative for the child zone ("yourdomain.com" in this case).  It's
a DNS problem that only the administrators of ns.neon.net or the ".com"
servers can do anything about.

These questions really belong on the comp.unix.admin or
comp.mail.sendmail news groups, as they have nothing to do with
procmail.

Philip Guenther