Re: assign a unique ID to each incoming email?

1999-04-08 07:26:18
Mathias,

Your first error message was generated because you are missing a '$' at
the beginning of the condition line (but after the '*') to force
interpolation of the variables into the line before it is used as a
pattern.

As to the second problem, you didn't read carefully enough my original
note, in which I said:

  I use the following. Note that some of the comments must be stripped
  before it is used.

In particular, the comments in the condition lines must be removed, and
the comments in non-terminal action lines (action lines which are
continued via escaped newlines) must also be removed, including all
white-space which follows the final backslash. Thus, the following
lines (not contiguous):

* $ $SERIAL^0                                                        ##
value just read
*       1^0                                                          ##  by 1
  | print -- "# Serial numbers assigned beginning v5.8 19971117\n\   ##
history
    # Last message v$REV with header date: $FDT $TZ\n#\n\            ##
date-time stamp

should read:

* $ $SERIAL^0
*       1^0
  | print -- "# Serial numbers assigned beginning v5.8 19971117\n\
    # Last message v$REV with header date: $FDT $TZ\n#\n\

You should also change the generated comments (in the last two lines
above) to reflect your environment.

--
Rik Kabel          Two seconds ahead of his time
rik(_at_)netcom(_dot_)com