Re: Run scr after all mail retrieved

1999-06-06 15:40:46
era eriksson <era(_at_)iki(_dot_)fi> writes:

***8< snip
Generally, a better approach might be to keep, say, a day's (or two
days', or a week's) worth of messages in one particular backup
directory, and rename that regularly from within a cron job.

In order to avoid having to lock the directory (so as to avoid
accidents if you have an incoming message being delivered while you
are only half done with switching in a new day's directory in place of
the old), you might want to make sure "backup" is always a symlink,
and make the cron job something like

This looks like a good way to go.  Think I'll try this out.  I have
been just running a script that says:

fetchmail && deletions of backup files stuff

Which does seem to work, but I have noticed occassions when fetchmail
finishes before some kind of ident program called by sendmail gets
finished.  So I guess there could be a situation where fetchmail is
done and procmail is still running while the deletion is trying to
take place.