Re: quick question

1999-06-11 03:30:20
On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 13:31:23 -0700 (PDT), Michael Johnson
<hekate(_at_)intergate(_dot_)bc(_dot_)ca> wrote:
Now here at the end-- does the \> do something special besides

\< and \> match a single non-alphabetic character (like a word
boundary in some other regex implementations, but not quite; see the
manual page or <http://www.iki.fi/era/procmail/quickref.html> for
details.)

with the: (.*\<)? doesn't the ? match 0 or 1 occurences of anything in the
()? if so how does that work with the  (.*) characters since .*
means 0 or more occurences of any character? Don't the .* and the ?
contradict each other since the ? applies to anything in the ()?

No, the (.*\<) expression matches at least one character (the boundary
character after .*) but we also want to match nothingness, so we make
the whole expression optional. You might be able to find more about
this in the archives.