Re: MTA filtering?

1999-06-11 03:44:54
On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 22:59:20 -0700, Edward Roper <eroper(_at_)wanfear(_dot_)com>
wrote:
Is it possible to use Procmail to filter mail at the MTA rather
than MUA level? i.e. Can I configure sendmail+procmail to process
all inbound-outbound mail (not mail to be delivered but transfered
to another mail server) to catch and /dev/null messages meeting
certain message-body criteria? If not are there any tools I can use
to perform such a feat?

If you're looking for something at the MTA level that does regular
expression matching and filtering, Claus Assmann has some pointers at
<http://www.sendmail.org/%7Eca/email/chk-89.html#REGEX> -- this is for
Sendmail only, but I gather in your case that's okay. However, there
only seems to be provision for testing headers, not the body of a
message.

I was under the impression that maildrop was originally intended to be
usable even during the SMTP dialog somehow, but I can't quickly find
anything on that now. <http://www.flounder.net/~mrsam/maildrop/> in
case you want to have a look for yourself.

/* era */

(Claus' pages are highly recommended -- definitely bookmark stuff. I'm
too chicken to write his name properly, in case somebody still has
problems with 8-bit MIME. I suppose you would have bigger problems
than this in that case, though. For the record, that's A, German
double s aka es-zet, m, a, n, n.)

--
.obBotBait: It shouldn't even matter whether     <http://www.iki.fi/era/>
I am a resident of the state of Washington. <http://members.xoom.com/procmail/>