Re: Solaris 7, new patches and procmail

1999-07-02 08:13:30

Steve added:

   On a whim, I tried an experiment.  I set up an alias with a .forward
   (actually to my pager) and this does not work!

   I bet the patches broke the sendmail .forward functionality some how!
   Which, in turn, breaks my procmail!

   I will be testing further and let y'all know.

   Steve Carter wrote:
   > I run Solaris 7, sendmail and procmail v3.13.1 on a Ultra5 workstation.
   > A couple of days ago Sun announced some patches for Solaris 7 which I
   > installed.  Since then procmail has quit working, no log entries, no
   > messages, nothing.
   >
   > Anyone heard of this or got any ideas how I can start troubleshooting
   > this?  BTW, The patches can't be backed out AFAIK.
   >
   > Let me know if you need any more information.

First off, check /var/log/syslog to see if there are permission problems.
Sendmail, in it's current implementation, is pretty anal about permissions. Make
sure that (a) your home directory is not group writeable (i.e., chmod 755
~scarter) and (b) your .forward file is only writeable by you (i.e. chmod 644
.forward). Any permission problems "should be" logged in /var/log/syslog, and
that sounds like what this is now.

It does sound like sendmail got upgraded by the patch. If you had procmail as an
MTA in your sendmail.cf, I'll bet that is gone, too.