Q's for Quick Start: ^TO, ^TO_, .forward, LDA, MDA, MTA

1999-08-14 14:23:21
On 13 Aug 1999, era eriksson <era(_at_)iki(_dot_)fi> wrote:
but the best solution (if Andreas' version of Procmail is a recent
one, i.e. a 3.11pre4 or newer -- it would be prudent to upgrade to
3.13.1 if you have an older version anyhow) is really

    *^TO_pgp

Thanks to the people who have sent me feedback on my Procmail Quick
Start. I have a few questions:

* What version of procmail introduced ^TO and when was it released?

* What version of procmail introduced ^TO_ and when was it released?
  (from era's msg above it seems like 3.11pre4 -- is that true and
  when was it released?)

* In one of the procmail docs on the web (maybe Jari's amazing
  pm-tips) I read that the procmail man page on your system will
  have information that is specific to your system and in particular
  it will include the command that you should put in your .forward
  file. My question to you all is this: If someone types

   man procmail

  on their system and then searches for the word kludge by typing

   /kludge

  will the command right after this be the best command to put in
  their .forward? And I assume they should append #Username
  to the command that shows up in their local procmail man page.

* I have a question about the terms "local delivery agent (LDA),"
  "message transfer agent (MTA)," and "message delivery agent (MDA)."
  I think I understand that sendmail can be all three of these. I also
  think that procmail can be a LDA or MDA. But my guess is that
  usually we do not refer to procmail as a MTA because it does not
  pass messages on to the rest of the (non-local) Internet. Rather
  it can pass messages to sendmail, which then passes them on to the
  Net. So my guess is that if a system has sendmail set up as the MTA
  and a user invokes procmail via the .forward file, we could say the
  following:

  Sendmail is the MTA and the default MDA for users, but some users
  use procmail as their personal LDA by invoking it via the .forward
  file.

  Is this the correct use of these terms?

Thank you for your help,
Nancy

PS - The Procmail Quick Start is now mirrored at:

 Primary: http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/
 Backup: http://www.best.com/~ii/internet/robots/procmail/qs/

I've made quite a few changes since Thursday so please take a look and
send me your feedback and suggestions. If you link to it on your web
site, please give a link to both URLs to split the load and to give
people a backup in case one server is down.