Re: Q's for Quick Start: ^TO, ^TO_, .forward, LDA, MDA, MTA

1999-08-20 08:54:41
On 16 Aug 1999, era eriksson <era(_at_)iki(_dot_)fi> wrote:
According to the HISTORY file, 3.11pre4 was released on 1995/10/29

Thank you. I've now incorporated this info into my Procmail Quick
Start. In case anyone is wondering why this is relevant, I want people
to realize that if they are using a version of procmail does not
support the ^TO_ expression, they are using a version that
is almost *FOUR* years old!

Question: Is there ever a situation where one would want to use ^TO
rather than ^TO_ (other than you're using an old procmail that
doesn't have ^TO_)?

 >    My question to you all is this: If someone types
 >    man procmail
 >   on their system and then searches for the word kludge by typing
 >    /kludge
 >   will the command right after this be the best command to put in
 >   their .forward?

(I added something like this to the FAQ recently, perhaps you saw it
there.

Yes, this *is* where I saw it - thank you for a great tip!

The "kludge" word will in fact bring the search down to a few lines
below the actual .forward file, and in some pagers you will have to
  ^^^^^

On my system the word kludge is a couple lines *above* the .forward
command (is that true on other people's systems?). So I think (hope)
that in most pagers the .forward command will be visible when the word
kludge is found and displayed.

I'm still curious to find out how common it is for this .forward
command in the procmail man page to 1) be there and 2) to be the best
command to use. What version of procmail introduced this? I'll add
that to my quick start so people who are using an older version won't
spend a lot of time hunting in the man page for this.

See also <http://www.imc.org/terms.html> although curiously, it
doesn't list MDA or LDA.

Does anyone know of a URL where MDA or LDA are defined? The places I
usually go for that kind of thing, e.g., FOLDOC, don't have them.

And now a completely new question: In Era's great FAQ, he says:

 If your MTA is not Sendmail, something reasonably simple like

        "|/usr/local/bin/procmail -f"

I'm wondering why this command isn't

        "|/usr/local/bin/procmail -f-"

Thanks again for all your help.

Any and all feedback is welcome on my Quick Start which is still
evolving at:

 http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/

Thanks,
nancy