Re: Help With Procmail

1999-08-27 17:02:31
On Fri, 27 Aug 1999, Jeff Grossman wrote:

jg> I am having a problem with Procmail.  Here is the log message that I am
jg> getting:
jg>
jg> procmail: Couldn't determine implicit lockfile from "/usr/bin/dmail"
jg> delivery to /mail/Mailing Lists unsafe: No such file or directory

  Well as you can see by the above error, its looking for the
following /mail/Mailing Lists
  1. /mail (typically does not exist in any platform)
  2. its seeing two directories, /mail/Mailing and Lists

  You can fix these below by changing your MAILDIR to = $HOME/mail I would
also do the same for INCOMING as well.

jg>
jg> Here is my Procmail recipe file:
jg>
jg> VERBOSE=off
jg> MAILDIR=mail

change to   MAILDIR=${HOME}/mail

jg> PMDIR=$HOME/.procmail
jg> LOGFILE=$PMDIR/procmail.log
jg> INCOMING=mail

change to  INCOMING=${HOME}/mail

jg> DELIVER=/usr/bin/dmail
jg> DROP="$DELIVER +$INCOMING"   # Usage: "| $DROP/foldername"
jg>
jg> :0:
jg> * ^Subject:.*linux
jg> * !^Subject:(_dot_)*root(_at_)apple
jg> | $DROP/'Mailing Lists'

  procmail is picky I've noticed with long file names, I use them only
because I like long file names, the only way I was able to get procmail to
recognize the long file names was by quoting the entire directory path

    | $DROP/"Mailing Lists"

  Though I'm not using dmail to do this, I'm having procmail do it on
mine, so I'm not sure if the quotes will work on your particular instance.

jg>
jg> :0:
jg> * ^From(_dot_)*owner-vnc-list(_at_)uk(_dot_)research(_dot_)att(_dot_)com
jg> | $DROP/'Mailing Lists'

  Same as above

jg>
jg> :0:
jg> * ^X-Mailing-List:.*procmail
jg> | $DROP/'Mailing Lists'

  Same as above

jg>
jg> It says that the message is being delivered to INBOX, but that is not the
jg> case, so I have temporarily removed my .procmailrc file so I do not lose any
jg> mail.  My mail files are in $HOME/mail.  My Inbox is in $HOME.
jg>

  Its probably not going to the Inbox because the value isn't set, I
missed this one myself when I set mine up, try adding a DEFAULT=Inbox
entry after your MAILDIR entry and before any rules begin. I placed it
directly after on mine.

--
     S.Toms - tomas(_at_)primenet(_dot_)com - http://www.primenet.com/~tomas
                S.u.S.E. Linux v6.1+ - Kernel 2.2.11

One difference between a man and a machine is that a machine is quiet
when well oiled.