Re: [procmail] recipe (evil)

1999-10-06 16:00:59
On 6 October 1999, Ruud H.G. van Tol <rvtol(_at_)isolution(_dot_)nl> wrote:
LD, thanks for the tips.

2. creates a "Reply-To: the list"

   Like I said many times in the past, this is evil, because it
prevents people from sending private replies.  The "right" way to do
it
is:

(1) Use "Mail-Followup-To:" instead;
(2) Use a decent MUA, that can distinguish between the various reply
   forms.

I often send an unintended reply-to-the-author.  That reminds me
that I have to change the To: now, LD is still there.  I want
messages coming via lists to have a "Reply-To: the list".  I hate the
complaints like : "please don't send me private copies anymore, I am
on the list you know".

    As other people pointed out, this too can be fixed with procmail
before you get to see the messages:

        :0 fh
        * ^(Resent-)?Sender:[   ]+procmail-request@
        | formail -i "Reply-To:
procmail(_at_)informatik(_dot_)rwth-aachen(_dot_)de"

However, should this be the default behaviour, I'd hate it to death.
Some people, for various (good) reasons, won't / can't put their real
address in the "From:" headers, and use "Reply-To:" for that purpose.
Should the list override that "Reply-To:", I wouldn't be able to
reply to those people in private, no matter how hard I try.  Mailing
lists shouldn't mess with "Reply-To:", they should, like I said, use
"Mail-Followup-To:" instead.

My Outlook Express only has "Reply to Author" and "Reply to All", not
"Reply to the Channel" or whatever.
[...]

    Then you have the options to:

(1) Switch to a better mailer;
(2) Pester Outlook's developers to support list reply and / or
    "Mail-Followup-To:".

    Forcing one behaviour or another to other list members is not the
solution IMO.

On 6 October 1999, Ruud H.G. van Tol <rvtol(_at_)isolution(_dot_)nl> wrote:
[...]
OK, but I also prefer not getting private messages concerning list
subjects.
[...]

    Then you have the options to:

(1) Filter out duplicates;
(2) Redirect the messages you don't want to read to /dev/null;
(3) Set a "Reply-To:" pointing to the list in your own posts.

    (1) and (2) can be done with procmail.  (3) should be an option in
your MUA (yes, even Outlook should have it).

    Regards,

    Liviu Daia

--
Dr. Liviu Daia               e-mail:   Liviu(_dot_)Daia(_at_)imar(_dot_)ro
Institute of Mathematics     web page: http://www.imar.ro/~daia