Re: the terms "mailer" and "LDA"

1999-10-18 16:19:11
* Nancy this-address-is-valid McGough (nm(_at_)NoAdsPlease(_dot_)ii(_dot_)com)
[991018 17:04]:
In it he calls sendmail a "mailer" and that has made me think
that maybe I shouldn't be using "mailer" to mean MUA in my
Procmail Quick Start. What do you all think? What word or phrase
should I use? I don't want to use "mail user agent" or "MUA"
because they are too techie. I kind of like "mail client" because
it makes people think of the client/server model of mail (which
is the way I like to think about it), but again I think this is
too techie. There's "mail program" or "email program" but those
are boring and have the same problem as "mailer," i.e. they could
mean MTA. One reason I kind of like "mailer" is that it goes well
with "newsreader." And that brings up the question of whether it
should be "news reader" or "newsreader."

I wouldn't call sendmail a mailer...  mutt is a mailer.  Sendmail is an
MTA...  Maybe these definitions need to be made clearer, right up front,
but if someone can't get a handle on that, they're going to have a lot
of trouble trying to make sendmail do whatever they're asking it to do..

just my $0.02,

jon

--
Jonathan J. Miner-------------------Division of Information Technology|
miner(_at_)doit(_dot_)wisc(_dot_)edu                  University Of Wisconsin -

Well, enough clowning around.  Perl is, in intent, a cleaned up and
summarized version of that wonderful semi-natural language known as
"Unix".
             -- Larry Wall in
<1994Apr6(_dot_)184419(_dot_)3687(_at_)netlabs(_dot_)com>