the terms "mailer" and "LDA"

1999-10-18 15:01:17
I just read an interesting interview with Eric Allman at:

 http://www.sendmail.net

In it he calls sendmail a "mailer" and that has made me think
that maybe I shouldn't be using "mailer" to mean MUA in my
Procmail Quick Start. What do you all think? What word or phrase
should I use? I don't want to use "mail user agent" or "MUA"
because they are too techie. I kind of like "mail client" because
it makes people think of the client/server model of mail (which
is the way I like to think about it), but again I think this is
too techie. There's "mail program" or "email program" but those
are boring and have the same problem as "mailer," i.e. they could
mean MTA. One reason I kind of like "mailer" is that it goes well
with "newsreader." And that brings up the question of whether it
should be "news reader" or "newsreader."

A while ago I asked for a definition of local delivery agent and
got no response. I just made up a definition and added it to the
list of terms in my QS. Please let me know if it is correct and
if you have any suggestions for improvement.

Thank you,
Nancy
terminology nut

--