Re: the terms "mailer" and "LDA"

1999-10-22 12:41:08
On 99-10-18 Jon Miner <miner(_at_)doit(_dot_)wisc(_dot_)edu> wrote:
* Nancy this-address-is-valid McGough
(nm(_at_)NoAdsPlease(_dot_)ii(_dot_)com) [991018 17:04]:
In it he calls sendmail a "mailer" and that has made me think
that maybe I shouldn't be using "mailer" to mean MUA in my
Procmail Quick Start. What do you all think?

I wouldn't call sendmail a mailer...  mutt is a mailer.  Sendmail is an
MTA...

Well, considering that Eric Allman is the creator of sendmail, he
might be correct when he calls it a "mailer" in:

 http://www.sendmail.net/?CssUID=&CssServer=&SessionName=&feed=interview001

I also just noticed that the procmail man page also calls
sendmail a "mailer" so now I'm *really* thinking that I should
not use "mailer" to mean MUA.

Maybe these definitions need to be made clearer, right up front,

I do have a list of definitions at the beginning of my Procmail
Quick Start, which now includes:

   mailer
   message transfer agent or MTA
   local delivery agent or LDA
   folder or message folder
   default inbox
   list
   recipe
   string
   regular expression
   word
   pico
   ~ or $HOME

But I want to make sure I'm using standard terminology! I guess
I'll change "mailer" to "mail client" unless someone has a better
suggestion...

Thanks,
Nancy

--
For Procmail info, see www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/

©Nancy McGough         http://www.ii.com/         Infinite Ink
--= Sent via PINE 4.20: Internet News & Email for Win/Unix =--