Re: .forward switched of by sysadmin: How to use procmail?

1999-11-15 04:48:11
At 11:48 1999-11-15 +0100, Thomas Ziegler wrote:

[snip - tale of woe]

Is there any possibility to use preprocess my incoming mail with procmail?

If you're reading mail via a unix based mail client (such as elm or pine), yes, you could run procmail manually, or via cron to filter your mail into individual mailboxes for your mail client. You'd need to be sure to remove them from the mail spool though. This is less doable if you're reading mail via a POP or IMAP client, because they'll expect to process from the mail spool, not some other file (I strip out twits and junkmail, then filter to archive files on my server and otherwise just add filter tags to message headers so when my POP client downloads the messages, they rapidly get filed to the appropriate folder via a less complex filter mechanism within the client, simply using the filter tag header).

One way to invoke against your mail spool:

formail -s procmail < /usr/spool/mail/your_uid

(path to the mail spool should be confirmed)

This would split the messages incoming from the mail spool and execute procmail on each one.

running such a process via crontab might be possible as well, though if your sysadm disabled .forward for security reasons, s/he's probably paranoid about cron useage too, so that may not be an option.

If you have another unix box where you can run procmail via .forward, you might see about forwarding your mail there (ask the sysadm to add an entry to the sendmail aliases file).

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395