Re: .forward switched of by sysadmin: How to use procmail?

1999-11-15 16:11:15
One way to invoke against your mail spool:

formail -s procmail < /usr/spool/mail/your_uid

running such a process via crontab might be possible as well, though if
your sysadm disabled .forward for security reasons, s/he's probably
paranoid about cron useage too, so that may not be an option.

You don't need cron, just outsmart the sysop with something like this,
run each time you log in or out:

#!/bin/tcsh -f

# check if we are already running - exit if yes

while ( 1 )
  formail -s procmail < /usr/spool/mail/your_uid
  sleep 300
end

The real problem is to remove msgs piped into procmail from your mail
spool file in a way which doesn't lose anything...  (perhaps lockfile
will help - I think I never had much luck in getting it to go)

Volker