Re: Appending Unsubscribe Information

1999-11-15 17:01:58
At 10:17 1999-11-15 -0600, Athar S. Sidiqi wrote:

Now this is ridiculous I went to procmail.org and found NO unsubscribe
information even though I looked under several links. Then I went to
this math.fu-berlin.de site and found nothing either ... only subscribe
information  there too !

What gives you the idea you should expect to find anything pertaining to procmail at the math.fu-berlin.de site? AFAIK, it has nothing to do with procmail, except that some other server within the domain (ftp.fu-berlin.de) is one of several FTP repositories for the procmail package. The list isn't hosted there, it is just a place to D/L the package.

The subscribe information is readily available but the unsubscribe

I just fished through my bucket 'o clues, and found the following one for you:

The unsubscribe process is virtually identical to the subscribe process (you've gone through that one, right?), except the action word is spelled differently. It has a prefix of 'un'. As in 'unsubscribe'.

Another bonus clue for you:

        procmail -v

displays not only the version, but also the requests address. Hint: the requests address is where you send, get this -- requests! This would be the SAME address you send the subscribe request to.

As you've pointed out, you can't be bothered to keep the message that often says "don't delete me" or "save me", so don't expect others to be in a big rush to lend a hand.

As for finding the answer outside of the list, this isn't rocket science - a simple search of altavista with four keywords:

        +procmail
                (because it is obviously important)
        +unsubscribe
                (because that is what you're trying to do)
                (because this question is asked all the time by people too
                lazy^H^H^H^Himportant to find the answer themselves, so it's
                part of the various FAQs).
        +informatik.rwth-aachen.de
                (to limit the zillions of messages that would otherwise be
                returned - this is the host portion of the list address
                you're sending/receiving list messages through)

Go through the handful of hits returned until you find a link to the following. Don't follow THIS link directly, you've really got to do the websearch to get an understanding of how easy this is to do:

        <http://www.iki.fi/era/procmail/mini-faq.html>

This is the standard FAQ link, which is conveniently posted to the list on a regular basis about three times every month. By coincidence, this FAQ was most recently posted yesterday, so if it wasn't such a bother for you to monitor the list you're subscribed to, you might have seen it.

As for the address of altavista, I couldn't be bothered with saving it to my bookmarks, so you'll need to figure out the URL.

the information but when you dont want something and are stuck with it and
then have to exert effort to get rid of it - it is very frustrating and
pointless.

Seems that is probably the whole point of keeping the subscription welcome informational message. But as I've said above, if you can figure out how to subscribe, the process for unsubscription is the same except for two additional letters. And has already been pointed out, this is pretty standard for many lists on the net -- certainly almost all the ones that predate web-based subscription mechanisms.

Once upon a time, it was a given that those who were bright enough to find out how to subscribe would inevitably be capable of managing the simple process of unsubscription.

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395