Stop mail loops

1999-11-21 10:38:36
Every third week or so one of our users will construct a procmail receipe
looking like this:

:0 c
! someuser(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)in(_dot_)the(_dot_)world

:0:
$DEFAULT

This is working very well until there is something wrong with the someuser
address. Then sendmail at somewhere.in.the.world will send a reply to our
user stating there is an error with the someuser address. This message goes
through our user's .procmailrc resulting in the error mail being forwarded
to someuser. This of course fails again and the loop will just continue
forever generating more and more emails.

We advice our users that they should always start their .procmailrc with
something in the effect of

:0:
* ^FROM_DAEMON
$DEFAULT

But there are always some users that never listens. So what I would like to
know is if there are some elegant way for our mailsystem to discover such
loops and put an end to them. Anyone with a good idea?

My first thought was to have the daemon rule in /etc/procmailrc. But at
that time we do not know what the users MAILDIR variable will be. And
besides we are maybe running as root when in /etc/procmailrc?

Surely there must be others having this problem? Maybe something should be
done with procmail itself to prevent such accidents?

--
Geir Johannessen          #  joge(_at_)stud(_dot_)ntnu(_dot_)no
E B Schieldropsvei 35-25  #  http://2180058000/~joge/