Re: keeping a copy

1999-11-29 00:09:49
On Sun, 28 Nov 1999 21:10:09 -0800 (PST), "S.Toms"
<tomas(_at_)primenet(_dot_)com> wrote:
On Sun, 28 Nov 1999, Philip Guenther wrote:
 pg> >  -A "X-Loop: info(_at_)web-hosting(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk"; \
 pg> >  cat $filedir/info.txt ) | $sendmail -t
 pg> I see two other bugs in the above: $sendmail should be capitalized and
  Does it have to be capitalized though? I agree with capitalizing the
variables to distinguish them, but if he sets the variable with lower
case, won't that work?

This is the built-in SENDMAIL which Procmail sets for you. You should
probably not rely on your abilities to second-guess what it should be
(such as by setting your own lowercase $sendmail to something you
thought up yourself).

 pg> there should be a space before the backslash that continues the first
 pg> line of the action.  As it was originally written without indentation,
  Does that also include lines that end commands with ;\ ? I have various
filters that have ;\ immediately following the command line, where as I
have just a space \ when its a formail argument.

Obviously the ; is a separator enough on its own, but it's a good
habit to always remember the "extra" space. YMMV.

 pg> cat $filedir/info.txt \
 pg> ) | $SENDMAIL -t
  Why was the closing parenthesis placed on the same line as the sendmail
command? I would have put it on the same line as the cat command. Is that
a habit on your part or am I missing something vital? Again, I'm just

Certainly nothing vital. If you're used to C formatting conventions,
closing braces, parens etc. on their own line make sense. (If you're
used to reading Lisp, it just looks silly, but then who are you to
say, if you're used to reading Lisp :-)

Hope this helps,

/* era */

--