Thoughts on speed-up?

1999-12-02 08:02:25
Hi,

I have so many list filters that it can take up to a minute for an email
to get processed by them all and finally hit my INBOX (in the assumption
that it matches none of them).

That's annoying.

I realized that while I may have (for example) 5 filters, it might be of
benefit to have one "pre-filter" that does the exact same thing all of
them do. If it doesn't match that one "pre-filter" then it can move along,
avoiding all five for a net gain of 4 filters avoided. If it does match,
then all it's done is hit an additional filter. If I have "groups" of
filters, then there might even be a net gain for most filters, needless to
say for my INBOX (which is the most important of all).

Simply putting a filter that searches for my name in the TO or CC headers
isn't good enough, because many times a list will contain that as well.

So it would look like this:

:0
* ^TO_(listone|second|third|fourth)
        * ^TO_listone