Re: Thoughts on speed-up?

1999-12-02 08:55:39
On Thu, 2 Dec 1999 at 09:20, Philip Guenther wrote about "Re: Thoughts on...":

That's annoying.

Hmm, do you have a global lockfile?  If you turn on verbose logging, where
do the timestamps show the time is being taken?

Global per-user or per-system? I have lockfiles listed for all of my
recipes that actually write to files. Some of the recipes deliver to the
same file, so their lockfile is the same.

I turned on verbose logging, but I don't see timestamps anywhere.

      :0
      * ^TO_\/(listone|second|third|fourth)

Why are you putting in the forward slash altogether? Is this the reason
your recipe is faster?

The difference is that if a message arrives that is ^TO_ two or more
of the lists, your recipe will file it under the first of listone,
second, ...  while the recipe using MATCH will file it under the one
that occurs earlier in the header.  A message with headers:
      To: second
      Cc: listone

would be filed under listone by your recipe and under second by my recipe.

What would happen if the word second appeared in the message body, but
otherwise the message didn't match any filters. Would it still get caught
by that filter?

If that's not a concern, then the above is the way to go.

It's certainly nice, but nothing I'm losing sleep over. ;-)

What about the overall idea? does it have merit?

Thanks,

--
Brock Rozen
brozen(_at_)torah(_dot_)org