Re: questions about ^TO_ and MATCH

1999-12-04 03:24:56
So I'd like to convert the MATCH to all lower case
and I'm wondering 1) what's the best way to do this and 2) does
this defeat a lot of the speed up?

That was very recently posted here; I'd like to give credit but
unfortunately I've deleted my copy.  It was something like:
    # where VAR contains the mixed-case string
    :0D
    * VAR ?? [A-Z]
    { VAR=` (something which properly invokes tr goes here) ` }
This only runs the tr process when there is an upper case character
needing conversion to lower case.

If you have a limited number of 'down-casings',
you better use the same 'trick'
that one uses to translate numbers into monthnames or vv.

Ruud