Re: questions about ^TO_ and MATCH

1999-12-04 14:18:43
Dallman wrote,

| Okay, and I'm learning, but, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't
| think anybody answered Nancy's other question (not quoted here), which
| was something like "doesn't ^TO_ by definition use the delivery part
| of the email address only - foo(_at_)bar(_dot_)com - and not use the "comment"
| (e.g., user's name)?"  I'd like to know the answer to that too.

No, it doesn't.

In truth, I feel that a test with ^TO or ^TO_ is not a good way to identify
mail that came through a mailing list.  I prefer to test for mailing list
distributions by some header added or changed by the list software: maybe
From_, or Sender:, or Resent-Sender:, or Mailing-List:, or X-Mailing-List:,
or proper RFC2369 headers if they're present.  The last would be best of all,
because if an item had been forwarded from another mailing list, the RFC2369
headers from the first list would have been removed and won't get in the way.