Re: e: Altering Subject Headers

1999-12-26 10:38:13
* Mon 1999-12-20 Bryan Albright <bryana(_at_)uswest(_dot_)net> list.procmail
*
I get a couple of mailing lists that prepend some text to the start of
the subject header.  And I was wondering if there would be some way to
make procmail remove it.

As an example.  I'm on the LinuxCprogramming list and that list has
just started prepending "[LCP]" to the beginning of every subject
line.  So if someone posts to that list with the subject "blah blah"
it comes to me as "[LCP] blah blah".  Can procmail get rid of that
"[LCP]" for me?

Maybe the following will do...
jari

http://www.procmail.org/jari/

Pm-jasubject.rc -- Subject field cleaner and canonicalizer (Re:)

    Example usage

        You need nothing special, just include this recipe
        before you save message to folder.

            INCLUDERC = $PMSRC/pm-jasubject.rc

        Customizations: Let's say Polish M$Outlook uses `ODP:' instead of
        standard `re:' and you want to handle that too: Then set:

            JA_SUBJECT_KILL = "ODP:"
            JA_SUBJECT_SAVE = "no"
            INCLUDERC       = $PMSRC/pm-jasubject.rc

        You ca use JA_SUBJECT_KILL to kill any additional words from the
        subject line. Eg. if you have good newsreader, you don't need the
        mailing list prefixes that some mailing lists add to the beginning

            Subject: [LIST-xxx] the subject here

        to remove that list prefix, you simply match it

            JA_SUBJECT_KILL = "(list-xxx|list-yyy)"

        Important: The regexp must be _all_ lowercase, because when match
        happens, the word has been converted to lowercase.