Re: Some Questions about mailing...

2000-01-04 17:27:48
On Tue, 4 Jan 2000, Philip Guenther wrote:

site and it is stored in their /var/spool/username. That is increasing
storage space. second thing that will increase the net traffic.

    we are looking for a solution that will overcome the above
inconsistency.

The above sounds like a description of a correctly operating mail server.
I don't see any inconsistencies.  Could you be more specific?

    we will be greatly pleased if you send a better solution for our
problem.

Exactly what is the problem?

As I see it, the problems being described are:

A.  Users consuming too much disk space.
B.  Users consuming too much network bandwidth.

Both are being attributed to mailing list subscriptions.  Since Senthil is
in India I can understand some of the problems he faces.  (We have a JV in
Bangalore that I visit every few months....)

Problem "A" can be addressed with quotas on the disk system.

Problem "B" can be assisted with "user education" but is generally a
losing battle.  However, if one has control or influence on how networking
equipment is configured they may be able to invoke "protocol priority" and
give SMTP traffic a smaller piece of the bandwidth pie.

Regards,
Ed

--
Edward M. Greshko                  Technical Manager
                                   Syntegra Asia Region