Re: Some Questions about mailing...

2000-01-05 08:24:56
* Tue 2000-01-04 Senthil.P
<senthil(_at_)hamsadvani(_dot_)serc(_dot_)iisc(_dot_)ernet(_dot_)in>
| Dear Sirs/Madam
|
| Here i have some problem in our mail server. Actually, in our
| institute many users are there. They are having individual mail
| account. Most of the student have subscribed some of the web sites. So,
| Individual copy of the information is comming from that particular web
| site and it is stored in their /var/spool/username. That is increasing
| storage space. second thing that will increase the net traffic.
|
| we are looking for a solution that will overcome the above
| inconsistency.
|
| we will be greatly pleased if you send a better solution for our
| problem.

If I understand correctly, you're concerned about the increased mailbox
sizes?

A mailing list mail is nothing compared to Windows MUAs that send HTML
as a second copy, or people that send Winword and Excel files or
multimedia clips, like like they were drops in the sea.

Increase Net traffic? You're must mean increasing the mail server
load?. Compare to starting Web browser and visiting a
boiing--doingg-sound-there-ad-there page and how it increases traffic...

My first answer:

    Get more disk, you need it anyways and it's cheap.
    Get more memory to server
    Use dedicated mail server
    Use better, faster, more cpu friendly MTA software e.g. qmail.
    http:/www.qmail.org/

If those are not options to you:

    Run cron job to warn people to remove exessive mail after the mailbox
    has reached size NNN.

jari