Re: MIME attachment killer won't work

2000-01-11 07:10:13
Thank you all. I think I got this one figured out by doing a slight variation
on the previous one:

# Remove v-cards
:0BD fwb
* ^begin 600 .*.vcf
| sed -e '/^begin 600 .*.vcf/,/^end$/d'

On Tue, Jan 11, 2000 at 11:41:26AM +0000, Jon Walthour wrote:
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! It worked perfectly (well, almost so). I
only had to change on small thing. Instead of testing for WINMAIL\.DAT, it
would only match on winmail\.dat. I guess procmail is case-sensitive? In any
case, thank you so much.

One last question, and then I'll stop beating this dead horse. What would you
do with a similar sort of attachment: a v-card. It looks similar to the
WINMAIL.DAT attachment (which, as you say, aren't MIME attachments at all,
but uuencoded attachments. Anyway, it looks like this:

begin 600 <somebody's name>.vcf
M0D5'24XZ5D .... (more glibberish)

In procmail-ese, how would you say, in effect "Find 'begin 600 *.vcf' then
cut everything out until you get to a line that just says 'end'" (The * in
this case being a wildcard)?

Again, thanks so much for all your help!

On Tue, Jan 11, 2000 at 02:11:19AM -0500, era eriksson wrote:
On Mon, 10 Jan 2000 20:18:16 -0500, Jon Walthour <jonw(_at_)one(_dot_)net>
wrote:
 > I'm sorry if this question has been asked a million times, but I'm
 > new to this list and really need an answer. Like I'm sure many
 > other Unix mail users, I'm constantly getting these WINMAIL.DAT
 > email attachment from Microsoft Mail users. I'm trying to get
 > procmail to simply cut them out. According to Jari Aalto's website,
 > it's possible with his recipes--especially pm-jamime-kill.rc.

If it's a WINMAIL.DAT file, my guess would be that it's not a MIME
attachment at all. Microsoft has changed this a few times and I've not
really been paying attention, but my picture of the Criminal History
of the Redmond Juggernaut goes something like this:

  1995  "tnef" data in an uuencoded WINMAIL.DAT "attachment"
  1996  "tnef" data as application/octet-stream MIME attachment
  1997  "tnef" data as application/ms-tnef (or whatever) MIME attachment

The years are probably wrong, but roughly correspond to different
releases of -- in this respect -- increasingly less broken (but my
ghod, are they still broken) versions of M$ Mail and Outkook and
Outkook Pro or whatever the even more broken version is called.

A MIME attachment, which is what Jari's module can handle (as far as I
know) looks roughly like this:

    --0123456789stringofgibberish

    ZXZlbiBtb3JlIGdpYmJlcmlzaCwgdG8gYm9vdA== ...

whereas a uuencode "attachment" is just smack dab somewhere in the
middle of the rest of the message, althought the WINMAIL.DAT thing
will always be at the end, but still not structurally in its own MIME
part.

    begin 600 WINMAIL.DAT
    ?06YO=&AE<B!T>7!E(&]F(&=I8F)E<FES:"!H97)E"@`` ...

As you can see, the character sets used in the different encodings are
slightly different, too.

Anyway, if this diagnosis looks like it's a move in the right
direction, try this recipe:

    :0BD fwb
    * ^begin 600 WINMAIL\.DAT$
    | sed -e '/^begin 600 WINMAIL\.DAT$/,/^end$/d'

Perhaps you also want to add some sort of logging which details what
happened to this wonderful "tnef" data and who did it.

(For what it's worth, I believe it's some sort of overlay which lets
you render the text in richtext format -- fonts, sizes, etc -- if you
can decode the gibberish. I have a hunch it doesn't have decent
documentation, though, and of course, it's still annoying if you don't
have a client which can use this information, or oppose the tendency
to send all sorts of fluff instead of plaintext mail messages the way
ghod intended.)

Incidentally, you may also want to look for old messages about this in
at <http://www.rosat.mpe-garching.mpg.de/mailing-lists/procmail/>
which is Achim Bohnet's searchable archive of this list.

(Actually, a quick search for winmail.dat didn't turn up anything for
killing uuencoded attachments, only base64 MIME attachments.)

Hope this helps,

/* era */

--
 Too much to say to fit into this .signature anyway:
<http://www.iki.fi/era/>

--
Thanks,

Jon Walthour, BSC
Cincinnati, Ohio
The 21st century begins on January 1, 2001

--
Thanks,

Jon Walthour, OCP
Oracle Database Administrator
(513) 241-5949 x271 (office)
(513) 649-9488 (pager)
6499488(_at_)skytel(_dot_)com

LÛCRUM INCORPORATED
   Digital Strategies That Improve Your Bottom Line

1999 Inc. 500 Award Winner
One of America's Fastest Growing Companies