Re: Formail Cache

2000-01-14 18:45:48
SoloCDM asked,

| 1) While downloading e-mail, formail was interrupted. After I
| restarted formail, the files already downloaded were ignored as
| duplicates with the formail -D. Where did I go wrong?

Probably nowhere.  Whatever you did the first time before the interruption
got past the duplicate check.

Perhaps you should send duplicates to a duplicates folder and not throw them
away (until you've seen them with your MUA, of course).  If you're already
doing that, then what you're doing wrong is being concerned about this, as
you didn't lose any mail and it won't happen that often.

If, however, someone has a way to have a marker left when the download is
interrupted so that on the next download the recipe to eliminiate duplicates
can be skipped, please share it.

| 2) Can formail -D cache of 8192 be raised to a different value and
| what increments are used?

Yes, to any value that will fit in your available disk space, and the incre-
ment is 1.  Because most OSes assign disk space to a file in multiples of 512
or 1024 or 4096 bytes, though, it makes the most sense to use a multiple of
the appropriate size for your OS, since the cache file will have that space
reserved for it anyway.