Re: Backup in mbox format?

2000-01-16 05:38:52
On Sun, 16 Jan 2000 13:32:15 +0100, Morten Bo Johansen
<mojo(_at_)image(_dot_)dk>
wrote:
:0 c
backup

:0 ic
| cd backup && rm -f dummy 'ls -t msg.* | sed -e 1,32d'

However it saves the backed up messages in the MH folder format (I
think). I would just like them to be saved in the mbox format so I
can browse the messages in my mailreader like any other mailbox.

The problem is that it is rather expensive to remove old messages from
the beginning of an mbox file, while deleting the oldest files in a
directory is not much work at all.

This has been discussed here a number of times before; try the search
engine <http://www.rosat.mpe-garching.mpg.de/mailing-lists/procmail/>
and look for e.g. "dummy rm backup" or "backup cron append".

If you don't expect the backup archive to grow very large, or don't
expect to use it very often, or if you can live with a solution which
is cheap in more ways than one :-) I would recommend to simply append
to an mbox file and rename it from cron at midnight. You should find
this explained in more detail using the search terms above.

Hope this helps,

/* era */

--
 Too much to say to fit into this .signature anyway: <http://www.iki.fi/era/>