Re: sendmail/procmail problems

2000-01-18 09:04:48
Chuck Campbell <campbell(_at_)neosoft(_dot_)com> writes:
I upgraded (actually a clean install) of RH-6.1 (was running RH-5.2
previously).

The problems are noted here:

I built a new sendmail from the SPRM which was used to build the working
RH-5.2 sendmail.  I did the same for procmail, with the SRPM from RH-5.2
I used the sendmail.cf I had built in december under RH5.2.  The versions
are:
procmail-3.13.1-maildir-1
sendmail-8.9.3-7isp

Here is a part of an email header which is showing (at least part of) the
problem:

The original message was received at Mon, 17 Jan 2000 12:27:41 -0600
from starbase.neosoft.com [206.109.1.32]

"|IFS=' 'exec /usr/bin/procmail #campbell"
   (expanded from: <campbell(_at_)[ip-addr-deleted]>)

sh: IFS=' not available for sendmail programs
554 "|IFS=' 'exec /usr/bin/procmail #campbell"... Service unavailable
here is my sendmail.mc file I used to build my sendmail.cf.  You can see that
procmail is defined as the local mailer.

Remove your .forward file.  When procmail is the local mailer, you
don't need a .forward file to invoke it, because sendmail will do that
by default.  The error message is probably from smrsh, the sendmail
restricted shell, which expects just the name of the program to
executed and its arguments.  Your .forward file, if you had needed it,
should have been written:

        "|procmail"

You don't need the path because smrsh *only* executes programs in its
private binary directory (/etc/smrsh on most Redhat systems I've seen),
so should make sure you put a symlink to procmail in that directory.
You don't need the "#campbell" argument, because that was only needed
to work around a long ago squashed sendmail bug.

Philip Guenther