Re: filter junk mail ?

2000-01-24 18:42:52
At 07:51 2000-01-25 +0900, JM wrote:
Does anyone have a intelligent script to filter this

Check one of the various searchable procmail archives. Several have been posted. Mechanisms using scoring based on a number of frequent elements in spam subjects can prove reasonably reliable.

That would be too easy and maybe risky.

Careful selection of the criteria, and possible green-listing of friends and associates who may be prone to trigger them ("uh, Mum, one or two exclamation points is quite enough").

As with RBL mechanisms, some casualaties from friendly fire can be expected. If however, they blast a large majority of spam, you might find it to be an acceptable solution (and here at least, nobody is dying as a result of friendly fire).

Not urgent but if all mailing lists had such a
system, it would be interesting to see what

The single best thing that could be done for the procmail list is to make it bounce submissions from non-subscribers. Next to that, it should retain the ORIGINAL headers, rather than truncating them at the server.

> I made $15,000 last month!
[snip]

Here's a pointer - we didn't want it the first time, and we sure as heck don't want ANOTHER copy of it. Trim your posts, lest YOUR address be identified as a spammer by a script that matches content keywords to the poster.

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395