Re: filter junk mail ?

2000-01-24 16:29:51
There are loads of terrific junk filtering scripts out there. I
early on settled on JunkFilter[1], and remain happy with it. If you
should try using it, I've got a junkfilter.user file that
incorporates various recipes that went over the procmail list
recently to catch the torrents of china spam, seems to be working
fine.

Another widely-loved junk catcher is SpamDunk[2]; lots of folks
love that, and waltdnes has recently made china spam filters
available.

Either way, though, the particular example you cited may be hard to
catch. It made it through the mailing list. And since mailing list
traffic is all Bcc-ed to you, it tends to look a lot like spam.

The normal way to handle this is to put your spam-trap after the
rules that route your mailing list traffic into separate folders for
each mailing list --- so spam that is routed through the mailing
list doesn't get looked at by the spamcatcher, and shows up in your
mailing list filter.

Fortunately, well-run mailing lists don't have a lot of spam (that's
a tautology:-). Ignore the occasional one that sneaks through, the
folks who run the mailing list are doing plenty to take care of it.
There was a stretch a little while back when one mailing list I was
on got so much spam that I moved it below the spam-catcher recipe,
but that didn't do anything good --- mostly just left me with all
the mailing list traffic for that list landing in the spam box.

One basic concept of spam filtering is worth knowing about: an
effective spam filter (in the sense of catching the vast majority
of all spam) will also catch the occasional legit message, so you
should plan on routing all the junk to a separate folder which you
peek at occasionally. A folder full of junk is easy to deal with ---
you can glance at the from-n-subject index in an MUA like mutt, and
quickly spot if anything you care about got inadvertently trapped.

-Bennett

[1] <URL:http://www.pobox.com/~gsutter/junkfilter/>
[2] <URL:http://www.interlog.com/~waltdnes/spamdunk/spamdunk.htm>