Re: Filtering out mail without a "From" header

2000-01-26 23:11:14
On 26 January 2000, Stan Ryckman <stanr(_at_)sunspot(_dot_)tiac(_dot_)net>
wrote:
At 10:13 AM 1/26/00 -0500, Dominic Mitchell wrote:
This must be trivial,  how can I filter out mail that does not
have a particular header like "From:"?  I am being spammed hard by
someone and here are the full headers!

Headers like "Received" or  "From" are missing.

Something bothers me here... how do you get mail with NO Received
headers?  I would think there should be at least one reflecting your
local mail server (and showing where it got it from).

This looks like perhaps something that's getting to your mailbox by
some route other than normal mail delivery.

    This has been discussed recently on another list.  Apparently
sendmail won't add "Received:" headers if the information it should
write there overflows some of its internal buffers, and spammers seem to
be actively exploiting this "feature" these days.  If you want to get
rid of this behaviour use a better MTA.

    Regards,

    Liviu Daia

--
Dr. Liviu Daia               e-mail:   Liviu(_dot_)Daia(_at_)imar(_dot_)ro
Institute of Mathematics     web page: http://www.imar.ro/~daia