Re: "HI, This is for you!"

2000-03-02 15:13:10
At 15:15 2000-03-02 -0600, Sam wrote:
I had hoped to be able to learn things from subscribing to this list.  But
I'm sick of this idiot spamming me, and sick of the list owner not doing
anything about it.

There isn't an official listadmin per-se. Yes, it'd be great if the list was set up to limit posting by subscribers only. That's been hashed over a zillion times at least. And it'd be great if the listserver didn't strip the ORIGINAL headers from messages before relaying, since they're so useful to filter on.

FTR - your message heading is the first I've seen of this particular spam, so I checked my logs, and found that there have been three messages with that subject in the past few days, and every last one of them was caught by my forgery rules (from = usa.net, but messageid != usa.net), which have proven remarkably reliable for selected domains.

MOST of the spam I see come through the procmail lists is crap that is REPOSTED by someone on the list.

If you want to see how badly a list can be overrun with spam, go check out the commercial list hosting service 'topica.com'. Geez - some lists I'm on really took a S:N dive when they relocated to there.

How do I unsubscribe from this list?

While we're airing our gripes, let me say that what *I'm* sick of is people who manage to subscribe to a TECHNICAL list, yet can't comprehend that the uninstall instructions are virtually the same as for what they had to do to get ON the list in the first place.

This has been such a problem, that there's even an official unsubscribe FAQ: