Re: how to BOUNCE from .forward?

2000-03-16 15:57:47
Sean Straw wrote,

| Basically, I've got accounts all over the place, and some I use only for
| net access -- never for email.  I was going to .forward to /dev/null on
| one, but I'd rather it actually bounced messages (in case someone sent
| valid mail there, they'd at least know that I never read the
| message).  Note that on these other systems, I am not sysadm, so cannot
| simply alias out the address.
|
| Is there a standard way to do this from a .forward?
|
| Yes, I realize I can just make a malformed .forward, which would achieve
| much the same result - except that the sender might get the impression that
| I _accidentally_ broke something.

One problem about bouncing from .forward ... or from a program called by
.forward -- is that the bounce shows the contents of your .forward.  I got
around it for myself by making my .forward read

 "|$HOME/bounced"

(Use the absolute path to your $HOME if the variable doesn't work for you.)

where my ~/bounced is a procmail rcfile with 700 perms, hash-banged at the
top to invoke procmail.

That way, if I reject unwanted mail by assigning EXITCODE, the bounce notice
will say "/path/to/home/directory/of/dattier/bounced" where it spits out the
contents of .forward, implying, I hope, will be that my account is not al-
lowed to receive any email.