how to BOUNCE from .forward?

2000-03-15 19:15:38

Yes, I realize that this isn't strictly a procmail Q, but since .forwards are often intertwined with the proper invocation of procmail, I'm hoping someone will have a quick answer.

Basically, I've got accounts all over the place, and some I use only for net access -- never for email. I was going to .forward to /dev/null on one, but I'd rather it actually bounced messages (in case someone sent valid mail there, they'd at least know that I never read the message). Note that on these other systems, I am not sysadm, so cannot simply alias out the address.

I'm not concerned about mail loops: a good bounce will come from postmaster, so if I were to bounce a forged message, which results in a reply from the sender to the effect that the remove account or domain doesn't exist, my account won't be getting the message -- postmaster will.

Is there a standard way to do this from a .forward?

Yes, I realize I can just make a malformed .forward, which would achieve much the same result - except that the sender might get the impression that I _accidentally_ broke something.

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395