Re: Fetchmail not playing Procmail! - SOLUTION?

2000-04-13 17:42:50
Dallman Ross on  wrote...
| > From: Andrew Edelstein <andrew(_at_)pure-chaos(_dot_)com>
| > If procmail is your MDA, it doesn't matter if you mail directly to the
| > linux box or fetchmail is poping another box and dumping ot your local
| > SMTP port. Procmail is being invoked.
|
| I have the opposite problem.  I run procmail on various accounts, but
| then sometimes I want to grab my mail with fetchmail.  I'd prefer
| *not* to run procmail on mail polled through fetchmail.
|
| I have resorted in the past to renaming my .procmailrc, using
| fetchmail, then putting back .procmailrc.  Not my idea of an elegant
| solution.

I also use fetchmail to retreve mail from a pop3 server however
I did NOT want it to be passed to the sendmail server as the local
sendmail would not understand the destination address of the envelope.

Instead I have fetchmail call procmail directly to handle the mail.
In this case I just wanted it placed in a folder to await further
processing.  Also included is a MH folder delivery method.

(server/user/password have been replaced to protect the innocent ;-)
=======8<--------
#
# Fetchmail Run Control File
#
# Used for the downloading of mail from the QKS web site
#
set no bouncemail

poll remote.pop3.server
  protocol pop3
  user whatever
  pass guess
  to myname here
  mda "procmail DEFAULT=mail/@QKS /dev/null"
  #mda "/usr/lib/mh/rcvstore +QKS_mail"

=======8<--------

Now the procmail is only being used as a delevery agent only. Thier is
no reason why it could not be given a actual procmail filter instead of
/dev/null as in the above example.

This simplifies the handling of mail from the remote site, avoiding the
need to actually involve your systems sendmail.

  Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer )    http://www.sct.gu.edu.au/~anthony/
   "You must realize that the computer has it in for you.  The irrefutable
   proof of this is that the computer always does what you tell it to do."
     PGP Public Key available -- finger -l
anthony(_at_)lyrch(_dot_)cit(_dot_)gu(_dot_)edu(_dot_)au