Re: Using procmail with procmail - any problems?

2000-04-27 09:22:41
hris Green asked,

| Yes, I do mean what the subject says.  This system uses procmail 3.13
| is its MDA, I want to use procmail 3.14 so I can deliver mail to
| maildir mailboxes.
|
| I was already using the systems procmail to sort my mail so I already
| have a .procmailrc file.  How can I set things up so that the system's
| procmail (3.13) delivers to my procmail (3.14) and *my* procmail uses
| the .procmailrc file?
|
| Can I put a rule like the following in my .procmailrc :-
|
|     :0
|     | $HOME/bin/procmail .realprocmailrc
|
| and then put my real rules in .realprocmailrc?

On your system, Chris, does a ~/.forward override the LDA?  If your
~/.forward calls $HOME/bin/procmail [you may have to specify the absolute
path to $HOME], then the MTA will call only the program in your .forward
and skip invoking the LDA for nothing.

If not, I'd recommend using a single .procmailrc that has a test recipe for
the version, like this:

  :0 # no w or W
  # note that regexp can be matched by null for versions without the variable
  * PROCMAIL_VERSION ?? ()\/[0-9]*\.?[0-9]*
  * $ -${MATCH:-0}^0
  * 3.14^0
  | $HOME/bin/procmail

That will hand the message off to $HOME/bin/procmail if you're running an
older version with a lower value for $PROCMAIL_VERSION or with that variable
undefined, but it will not create a loop if you're in a newer one, so you
can use a single .procmailrc.