AMaViS - mail preprocessor

2000-05-11 03:43:29
Has anybody here used AMaViS (http://amavis.org)?  It's a mail pre-processor
that gets run by sendmail instead of procmail.  I believe scanmails (AMaViS)
then calls procmail.  Could there be a global procmail rule that would
forward all mail to the 'corporate mail server' for delivery to internal
users?

Just to flesh out the details a little:
1)Inbound E-mail would come the mailpreprocessor
The MX record would point to mailpreprocessor.co.com
2)sendmail would receive the mail and scanmails (AMaViS) would look through
it for attachments, virus signatures, etc.
3)mail gets delivered to local users
4)procmail (if set up) runs for the local users
5)user reads mail locally or picks it up.

*****<preferred method>
3)mail gets forwarded to corporate mail server
4)user picks up mail from the corporate mail server
*****</preferred method>

Point 3 is the problem point.  I don't want to have to create accounts for
each user on the mailpreprocessor machine.  According to their FAQ at
http://satan.oih.rwth-aachen.de/AMaViS/FAQ.txt, users do need to be created
for each user.  Is there another alternative?

Jerry A. Shenk, MCNE, GIAC certified intrusion analyst
Sr. Systems Engineer - Computer Networking Services
D&E Communications, Inc.
jshenk(_at_)decommunications(_dot_)com
1-877-433-8632 Fax via efax: (603) 250-1453
my website: www.dect.com/jas