Re: two questions wrt. distribution recipes

2000-06-13 23:07:33
(second try to see if I recall what adress to use)

On Tue, 13 Jun 2000, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
:0 c
* (^(TO|Subject):.*(fred|fredrika))
! fred

Remember that last line. Procmail calls sendmail to send the mail to fred.

The second problem is procmail insists on modifying the 'From '
line, no matter what command line switches I have tried.  All
'From ' lines say the message came from the account that ran
fetchmail and procmail.  I'd like to have the 'From ' lines be
left alone, or at most update the timestamp.
         mda "/usr/bin/procmail -f -"
would work... not?  I've only ever used procmail from sendmail so I
don't grok its behavior when invoked directly from fetchmail...

Actually procmail is not the mda in this case. It's just the mailfilter
before it is passed to sendmail that deliver it to the mda.

Unfortunately, the -f idea for keeping the "From " line intact
did not work.

Okej, you have fetchmail that gets your mail and procmail that goes
through the mail and choosing where to send it...

 fetchmail -> procmail -> sendmail -> MDA
                           ^
                           | Here is your From_ line added.

It's not procmail at all. And as From_ is actually not part of what
procmail sends to sendmail it is not solvable that way...
(Unless you change the SENDMAILFLAGS for each mail to include who the mail
is from.)

What I should do is to change the way some:
 fetchmail -> sendmail -> procmail (as MDA)

Then sendmail may be able to preserve the From_ line (if fetchmail does
know how to let sendmail know about it) and procmail actually delivers the
mail (instead of just passing it back to sendmail).

--
That secret you've been guarding, isn't.