re: backup

2000-08-03 09:30:22
From: "Anna Savarino" <asavarino(_at_)jacobacciperani(_dot_)com>
Hi
I receive every night an e-mail with an attach-file (is a text containing a
list of words).

Are you sure that it's a text file, not "microsoft word" or
"wordperfect" or "rich text"?

I must extract the attach and then I must execute a shell that reads the
file ecc.
How  can I do this ?
:0 c
        * ^From.*root
        * ^Subject:.*prova
$MAILDIR/provamailcap

The above makes a backup copy

METAMAIL_TMPDIR=$HOME/domini

:0 bbHB
        * ^From.*root
|metamail -w -q  -x

The above looks OK to me.

It writes something under the directory domini, but I really don't
understand how to read it. Can somebody help me? There is something wrong?

Let's assume that metamail decodes the file correctly; then we have
only the question of what that file is.

Could you try this?  Remove the "-q" from the metamail recipe and run
procmail on a single message.  Then metamail should tell you something
about the data.  Or, you could look at one of the messages and see
what the "Content-Type:" fields say.  That should give a clue.

I tried "metamail -w -x" on a message I received recently with
attachments, and it told me this (I previously set METAMAIL_TMPDIR to
/tmp/mail).

  This message contains 'text/plain`-format data.

  which is being decoded and written to the file named "/tmp/mail/mm.a16882".
  If you do not want this data, you probably should delete that file.
  Wrote file /tmp/mail/mm.a16882

  This message contains 'application/msword`-format data.

  which is being decoded and written to the file named "/tmp/mail/ovrvw.doc".
  If you do not want this data, you probably should delete that file.
  Wrote file /tmp/mail/ovrvw.doc

  This message contains 'application/vnd.ms-excel`-format data.

  which is being decoded and written to the file named "/tmp/mail/program.xls".
  If you do not want this data, you probably should delete that file.
  Wrote file /tmp/mail/program.xls

I'd suggest a few minor changes to make the recipes easier to read:

1. Test conditions only once, and group the result in one place.
2. Describe briefly what you're doing; this will help novices reading
   your file in the future.
3. remove extraneous flags (":0 bbHB" -> ":0 b")
4. Indent conventionally

Putting them together...

    :0
    * ^From.*root
    {

        # Make a backup copy
        :0c
        $MAILDIR/provamailcap

        METAMAIL_TMPDIR=$HOME/domini

        # Unpack the attachment
        :0 b
        |metamail -w -q  -x

    }

cheers
--
Neither I nor my employer will accept any liability for any problems
or consequential loss caused by relying on this information.

Collin Park                         Not a statement of my employer.
19111 Pruneridge Ave - MS 47UA      Voice: +1-408-447-5570 (T-447-5570)
Cupertino, CA 95014-0714 USA        Fax:   +1-408-447-7902