Re: What MUAs play nice with procmail?

2000-08-03 15:06:35
John Summerfield <summer(_at_)OS2(_dot_)ami(_dot_)com(_dot_)au> writes:

--------

I used to use pine, but decided I wanted to use an email client with a GIO,
so
I switched to exmh.

exmh is serving me well, but I thought I'd like o try others; I have other
accounts, so trying one is not big deal.

However, I have a concern. It seems to me that procmail's mailbox locking is
designed purely for preventing procmail from running over itself when here
are
two deliveries for the same folder.

Not sure what a GIO is.. but but far as procmail friendly, one such
mail client is gnus, the emacs News/mail reader.  It works with
procmail in such a way that procmail writes to spool[s], that gnus then
slurps from, so no cross writing takes place. Gnus is capable of
several styles of mailbox, incuding `one message per file'
(nnml,nnmh) or spool (babyl,mbox,nnfolder) All those are backends that
are part of gnus.  Anyone of them can be used easily with procmail.

Gnus is a very versatile News and Mail reader, but takes some getting
used to because it treats mail as news gotten by some different means.
For example, one doesn't normally delete mail in gnus but allow it to
`expire' at a settable interval.  When setup to do so, mail that is
read is `expired' according to settable (by group) preferences. Or
kept forever.

Gnus also has its own complex mail splitting routines.