Re: Marking Incoming Messages as "New"

2000-08-07 13:23:40
David W. Tamkin wrote:
What a blast from the past.  This used to be an FAQ around here.

OK, here's a contribution to the Elm section :-)

[snip]
Elm is the problem (or if you're using a different mail client, it's doing
the same thing Elm does): it believes that if a message is in a folder other
than the user's main spool, then the user must have moved it there manually,
and that counts as having been seen and not being new any more.  More recent
versions of Elm were rumored to have abandoned that position, or to offer a
way to list folders in the .elm/elmrc file where "new" flags would be shown
for messages without Status: headers.

No elmrc folder list is required; with newer versions of elm, use -M
(for "magic mode").  It's a GoodThing(tm) to use this option when
procmail is involved as well, because another effect of the flag is
to lock the folder.  (The documentation says that elm fully treats
all folders as if they were the spool file when -M is used.)

Just alias elm to "elm -M" and forget about it.

I'm not sure what version -M started in; I see it in version "2.5 PL2"
but not in version "2.4ME+ PL40 (25)" (no, don't ask me how they
number their versions :-)

Cheers,
Stan