Re: forwarding message to multiple recipients

2000-08-09 16:06:01
Hi,

According to the Procmail FAQ I can do this as follows:

! `address_list`

That should be

 ! `cat address_list`

where address_list is the file which contains the list of addressees.

However, when I tried it with a text file containing the single
anotheraddress(_at_)domain residing in the same location as the .procmailrc
file
it did not work. In the example in the FAQ the first line is a comment that
reads:

# The file $MAILDIR/addresses.txt contains the recipients, one per line

What path does the variable $MAILDIR point to? I haven't been able to find
where that variable is defined. What is this poor newbie missing?

according to the manpage (man procmailrc) it's "$HOME/" -- unless your
site has something in /etc/procmailrc or something like that which
modifies it.  To find out, do something like this:

    :0 fbwi
    * ^Subject: MagicStringThatNeverAppearsInRealMail
    | echo $MAILDIR

and send a mail with that subject.

I set mine (inside .procmailrc) as:

    MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail

which is where my mail folders reside.

hth,
--
Neither I nor my employer will accept any liability for any problems
or consequential loss caused by relying on this information.