Re: file locking

2000-08-16 16:13:05
Xander Soldaat <xander(_at_)soldaat(_dot_)com> writes:
I was wondering if it is necessary to use the :0: flag when writing to a file,
 ie something like this:
:0:
* some_condition
my_file

I was using procmail with VERBOSE=yes defined in my rc file and I
noticed some thing about aquiring kernel locks. Does this mean that the
":" is not always necessary, but only in the case of using a program
such as formail to write something to a file?

If you can trust the kernel-locking (no NFS involved, etc), and _all_
programs that access the file use kernel locking, then "yes".
Otherwise, no.

Is this assumption correct? Of course if you're using an OS with no
kernel based file locking you'd ALWAYS need to use lockfile. Also in
the case of NFS mounted volumes you'd want to use lockfiles since lockd
is flakey at its best.

You are correct.

Philip Guenther